If your passion is public spaces and you would like to support Placemaking with your writing, planning, or design skills, you are welcome to send us your resume and writing samples or portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
There are no job openings currently available. Check back soon for updates!
PPS is currently hiring for a Communications Intern. For general questions about our internships, check out our Internship FAQ.
Communications Intern – Great Public Spaces
Project for Public Spaces is seeking an intern to assist with our newly relaunched “Great Public Spaces” project (www.pps.org/places) this summer for approximately 21 hours of paid work per week for a period of 3-4 months (flexible). The position will include a number of professional development opportunities, including attending PPS’s training courses and an introduction to a variety of resources, tools, and techniques. The intern’s primary task will be supporting Great Public Spaces and will be largely focused on writing along with content and image management.
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Sorting Great Public Spaces nominations
- Conducting additional research on nominated sites
- Writing Great Public Spaces entries based on these nominations
- Choosing images to go along with the entries
- Adding the entries into our content management system
- Working with the communications team to write and create thematic articles based on recent submissions to Great Public Spaces
Other potential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Writing case studies for other teams within PPS
- Authoring and/or collaborating on PPS blog posts and EXPOSURE photo blogs
- Attending weekly communications meetings
- Assisting the communications team in other tasks, as necessary
Position available immediately. Interns will receive a $700 monthly stipend or greater depending on experience.
Please send your resume, cover letter, and two non-academic (we want to see evidence of a natural, journalistic style) writing samples to email@example.com by close of business on Monday, May 4th. Please indicate you are applying for “Summer Communications Intern – Great Public Spaces” in the subject line.
The position requires a self-motivated, detail-oriented person with excellent writing, oral communication, research, and organizational skills and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Candidates should have a strong interest in and understanding of public space planning and Placemaking issues.
Ideal candidates would have:
- Excellent communication, writing, and research skills
- The ability to write in an informal, journalistic (non-academic) style
- An understanding of the qualities of a great photograph
- Working knowledge of WordPress CMS and HTML
- Experience with project tracking
- A working knowledge of Placemaking, in addition to a passion for exploring and creating thriving public spaces
- Competency with Google Sheets and Excel
- Basic familiarity with Adobe Photoshop
- A degree either completed or in progress in an urban planning OR journalism related field is helpful, but not required if the candidate can demonstrate proficiency in the stated areas
About PPS’s Communications Team
PPS is a nonprofit planning, design, and educational organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities. Our pioneering placemaking approach helps citizens transform their public spaces into vital places that highlight local assets, spur rejuvenation, and serve common needs. PPS was founded in 1975 to expand on the work of William (Holly) Whyte, author of The Social Life of Small Urban Spaces.
PPS’s communications team focuses on spreading the message of Placemaking around the world through our website, www.pps.org, along with various social media and other outreach channels. With tens of thousands of followers on social media and newsletter subscribers, we reach a large audience every week with new content on Public Spaces and Placemaking.
About Great Public Spaces
PPS is undertaking a major initiative called Great Public Spaces. A revival of a previous effort, Great Public Spaces highlights those places around the world that we remember most vividly, the places where serendipitous things happen, the places we tell stories about. We’ve asked the public to submit places and received a wonderful response. The first segment of the reboot launched in early January 2015 with our “Great Public Markets” section, and we’re looking to expand the new site to include all categories of places during the spring months.
For questions about our internships, check out our Internship FAQ.