If your passion is public spaces and you would like to support Placemaking with your writing, planning, or design skills, you are welcome to send us your resume and writing samples or portfolio to email@example.com.
PPS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Current Job Opening: Senior Writer
About Project for Public Spaces
Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit planning, design, and educational organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build stronger communities. Our pioneering Placemaking approach helps citizens transform their public spaces into vital places that highlight local assets, spur rejuvenation, and serve common needs.
PPS’s mission is to support Placemaking in communities across the world and to make it easier for citizens to improve their streets, parks, plazas, and other public spaces. To this end, we have prioritized four transformative agendas essential in helping to accomplish this goal:
- Building communities through transportation: Focusing on how streets and transit facilities can improve community health, support economic development, and support more sustainable regions;
- Architecture of Place: Improving our public spaces and the built environment by advocating people- and place-centric design, and changing the role of design professionals;
- Supporting sustainable local economies by highlighting the central role of public markets;
- Strengthening communities by creating new models for parks, squares, and multi-use destinations.
We are seeking a Senior Writer that will help to develop and implement a strategy to communicate about and build support for change in these four key areas — with a strong emphasis on the transportation agenda.
The Senior Writer will assist in developing and lead production of content for a strategic communications campaign for the organization that is centered on building greater awareness of and support for the four transformational agendas included above – in particular for promoting changes in the practice of transportation, but also architecture, public markets, and destinations like parks.
The Senior Writer will work closely with the organization as a member of the PPS communications team. He or she will work closely with staff to help develop, write, and edit content.
The Senior Writer will also provide quality control on other PPS’s written materials, such as foundation proposals and project and program reports.
- Work with PPS’s senior staff to develop strategic communications content in key areas, including the transformational agendas and other key initiatives
- Direct the production of and edit communications content to be included in the e-newsletter, social media, website, etc. as a part of the communications team
- Manage the dissemination of PPS’s communications materials and messaging, including working to broaden our reach, audience, and impact
- Track and evaluate our communications impact and reach
- Cultivate and work with a network of media, bloggers, and others who can help to disseminate our messages
- Review and edit written materials, such as proposals, reports, and on-line e-books using existing PPS content
- Supervise intern-level or other freelance writers producing content
PPS is seeking an accomplished Senior Writer who has at least 5 years of writing and communications experience, covering areas such as website content (long articles as well as blog posts), newsletters, and donor communications. The ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages is essential. Other skills include:
- Knowledge of Placemaking and related issues (especially transportation, but also including urban planning more broadly)
- Highly collaborative style
- Excellent writing/editing skills
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of deliverables concurrently
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
Salary and Benefits
Commensurate with experience. Full benefits package included.
While a full time writer is preferred, we are open to hiring one or more senior writers/editors on a free lance basis. If you are interested in this option, please state this in your cover letter.
To apply, please e-mail a resume, cover letter, and 2-3 writing samples to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No calls, please.
There are no internships currently available. Check back soon for updates!
For questions about our internships, check out our Internship FAQ.