Project for Public Spaces is seeking a Senior Communications Associate to become a core member of its marketing and communications team. Reporting to the Director of Communications, this role is responsible for managing and producing Project for Public Space’s editorial content, and providing writing, editing, and strategic support to the broader organization.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience of writing engaging, inspiring, and useful content about public space, urbanism, and community engagement, as well as excellent time-management and organization skills, and a collaborative, supportive personality.
- Work with the Director of Communications to actively manage the Project for Public Spaces blog, and pitch articles to other relevant media outlets.
- Regularly write and edit a variety of content types, including blog posts, newsletters, publications, proposals, marketing materials, and educational products.
- Strategize and implement content marketing and advocacy campaigns that help support and achieve our mission.
- Use SEO best practices to generate traffic to our site, and work with the Junior Communications Associate to analyze and respond to performance metrics.
- Provide writing, editing, and strategy support to PPS program staff as needed.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- At least three years of professional writing and editing experience; experience in nonprofit marketing and communications or journalism preferred.
- Outstanding writing and editing skills across a variety of styles and formats (e.g. blog post, op-ed, reports, proposals).
- Capacity to produce compelling content quickly and consistently, while managing multiple deadlines (roughly one 1,000-word blog post per week, plus additional tasks).
- Balances creativity with strong organizational skills, and a reliable, proactive personality.
- Thrives in a collaborative, tight-knit office setting, with a proven track record of working across departments to achieve organizational goals.
- Passion for the built environment, placemaking, public space, community engagement, landscape architecture, city planning—or a strong sense of curiosity.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or related field.
- Basic proficiency with photography and video production.
- Familiarity with online communications platforms, particularly Webflow, Google Analytics, Mailchimp, and social media management platforms like Sprout Social or Hootsuite.
Project for Public Spaces (PPS) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build strong communities. We are the central hub of the global placemaking movement, connecting people to ideas, resources, expertise, and partners who see place as the key to addressing our greatest challenges.
PPS is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status. We believe in creating a workplace based on equal opportunity, and in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, PPS:
- Hires staff that reflects this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic identities;
- Creates a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensures that all members of the PPS community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Is committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.
Salary & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with a benefits package that includes full health coverage, employee contributed 403(b),and generous vacation and paid holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter, résumé, and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Senior Communications Associate." Position is open until filled.
Please email your application in a single PDF labeled "FirstName LastName - Position."