Project for Public Spaces is seeking a Marketing & Communications Manager to become a core member of its emerging development team. Reporting to the Director of Development, this role is responsible for developing marketing materials and proposals, as well as producing content for Project for Public Spaces’ blog, newsletters, social media, and external outlets.
The ideal candidate will have proven experience of writing persuasive, engaging content for a variety of audiences, excellent time-management and organizational skills, and a collaborative and proactive approach to their work.
This is a full-time remote position, however preference will be given to applicants within transit or driving distance of our home base in New York City to allow for regular in-person meetings.
- Develop marketing materials and proposals that inspire prospective partners, clients, and funders by showcasing our mission, impact, and staff.
- Work with organizational leadership and the development and program teams to devise organization-wide and project-specific communications plans that help achieve our mission.
- Produce and/or solicit content for the Project for Public Spaces blog using SEO best practices to drive traffic to our website.
- Manage, produce, and evaluate the performance of social media content across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn, as well as a weekly newsletter.
- Develop creative initiatives and campaigns to reach new audiences and engage existing followers, and stay up to date with changing social media technologies.
- Pitch and write articles for relevant media outlets that expand the audience for our mission, work, and thought leadership.
- Provide writing, editing, and communications planning support to Project for Public Spaces program staff as needed, such as for event promotion, project communications, and educational products.
- Identify, recruit, and manage freelance and guest content producers to accomplish the above tasks, as needed.
Qualifications & Skills
- At least three years of professional marketing and communications experience, preferably in the nonprofit or social enterprise sectors.
- Outstanding writing, editing, and communications skills across a variety of styles and formats (e.g. proposals, blog post, op-eds, reports).
- Capacity to produce compelling content quickly and consistently, while managing multiple deadlines.
- A balance of creative thinking and strong organizational skills.
- Thrives in a collaborative, tight-knit, remote office setting, with a proven track record of working across departments to achieve organizational goals.
- Comfortable writing about topics like public space, placemaking, community engagement, design, and city planning—or a quick learner with a strong sense of curiosity!
- Proven experience evaluating user behavior to enhance audience reach and engagement on social media, websites, and newsletters.
- Familiarity with using Adobe InDesign to lay out documents from templates.
- Familiarity with online content management systems and social media management platforms.
- Solid general computer skills, including word processing and spreadsheets.
About Project for Public Spaces
Project for Public Spaces is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping people create and sustain public spaces that build strong communities. We are the central hub of the global placemaking movement, connecting people to ideas, resources, expertise, and partners who see place as the key to addressing our greatest challenges.
Project for Public Spaces is committed to providing equal employment opportunity for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability, or veteran status. We believe in creating a workplace based on equal opportunity, and in the increased effectiveness that comes from a diverse workforce. To this end, we:
- Hire staff that reflect this country's full range of racial, ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic identities;
- Create a workplace where true diversity is fostered and different perspectives are valued and freely exchanged;
- Ensure that all members of the Project for Public Spaces community feel welcome and respected, and have equal opportunities to thrive and advance within the institution; and
- Are committed to supporting low-income communities and communities of color particularly affected by social inequities.
Compensation & Benefits
This is a full-time, salaried position with a benefits package that includes full health coverage, employee contributed 403(b), and generous vacation and paid holidays. The salary is $60,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience.
To apply, please prepare a cover letter, resume, and three writing samples as a single PDF, and complete this form before midnight on May 14, 2021.