While Crystal City isn’t technically a planned community, once construction began in 1963 it took on all the characteristics we associate with a mixed use planned community, complete with underground shopping and passageways. But we know that mixed use doesn’t always equal multi-use, nor does it always equal good destinations that draw people in and invite them to stay. People live, work, and play, but public spaces can be overlooked – made to look good, but not made to function. In sum, what Crystal City needs is more than a makeover, and we’ve been brought in to do just that – through Placemaking.
PPS will be looking at the entirety of the city to make the whole area more active, vibrant, flexible, and social. But the first step comes from YOU! We want to make the public spaces in Crystal City really great destinations for the community at large so we’re holding a week long event to get your ideas on how to improve public spaces – from street to sidewalk, park to plaza, markets to movies – the community is the expert!
So, if you’re in the Crystal City area next week get ready for an exciting week jam-packed with great Placemaking opportunities. Monday and Tuesday we’ll be gathering suggestions, so come out during your lunch hour or after your yoga class and tell us what kinds of activities, amenities, or special events you want to see in Crystal City. Wednesday and Thursday people will get the chance to vote on those suggestions as a community – so vote early and vote often for what kinds of activities, amenities, or special events would make Crystal City better! Check the map and schedule below for details, and we hope to see you there!
Here’s our schedule:
- Monday, July 21st, 7:30-9:30AM, Crystal City Water Park
- Monday, July 21st, 11:00AM-2:00PM, The Landing
- Monday, July 21st, 7:30-8:30PM, Crystal Screen @ 1851 S. Bell
- Tuesday, July 22nd, 7:30-9:30AM, Crystal City Metro
- Tuesday, July 22nd, 11:30AM-1:30PM, the park @ 2121 Crystal Drive
- Tuesday, July 22nd, 3:00-7:00PM, Crystal City Farmers Market
- Wednesday, July 23rd, 11:00AM-2:00PM, Sparket
- Thursday, July 24th, 11:00AM-2:00PM, Food Truck Thursday
For more information, email Nidhi Gulati at email@example.com.