Courtesy of Patsy Eubanks Owens
Assistant Professor of Landscape Architecture,
The following are references used by Owens in preparing articles on teenagers and their use of the physical environment. Professor Owens’s research focuses on the environmental needs and preferences of teenagers. She has conducted studies of teens’ valued places in California, West Virginia, and Australia; conducted a three-site case study of community skateboard parks; and participated in a multi-disciplinary/multi-state study on resilience to violence among at-risk youth.
- Appleton, J. 1984. Prospects and refuges re-visited. Landscape Journal. Fall, 3:90-103.
- Conn, M.K. (1988). “Adolescence and the Environment: Editor’s Introduction.” Children’s Environments Quarterly, 5(2), 2-3.
- Dornbusch, S.M.; Petersen, A.C.; and Hetherington, E.M., 1991. Projecting the Future of Research on Adolescence. Journal of Research on Adolescence, 1(1), 7-17.
- Fischman, J., 1987. The Ups and Downs of Teenage Life. Psychology Today, May: 56 – 57.
- Francis, M., Ladd, F., Lorenzo, R., & Townsend, S. (Eds.) 1975. Teen-environment: The need to know. Childhood City Newsletter. Spring, 1,3.
- Garton, A. & Pratt, C. 1991. Leisure activities of adolescent school students: predictors of participation and interest. Journal of Adolescence. 14, Sept:305-321.
- Hall, L. 1993. Teenagers in suburbia: A case study in a California suburb. Proceedings of Environmental Design Research Association 24. forthcoming.
- Hendrey, L.B.; Glendinning, A.; Shucksmith, J.; Love, J.; and Scott, J., 1994. The Developmental Context of Adolescent Life-styles. In R.K. Silbereisen and E. Todt (Eds.), Adolescence in Context: The Interplay of Family, School, Peers, and Work in Adjustment. (pp. 66-81). New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Hester, R.T., Jr. 1979. A womb with a view. How spatial nostalgia affects the designer. Landscape Architecture. Sept:475-482.
- Hester, R.T., Jr. 1984. Planning neighborhood space with people. (2nd ed.). New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold.
- Hester, R.T., Jr., McNally, M.J., Hale, S., Lancaster, M., Hester, N., Lancaster, M. 1988. ‘We’d like to tell you . . .': Children’s views of life in Westport, California. Small Town. 18,4:19-24.
- Hopkins, J. (1991). West Edmonton Mall as a Centre for Social Interaction. The Canadian Geographer, 35, 3, 268-279.
- Kaplan, S. and Peterson, C., 1993. Health and environment: A psychological analysis. Landscape and Urban Planning, 26: 17-23.
- Kaplan, S., 1983. A Model Person-Environment Compatibility. Environment and Behavior, 15, 3: 311-332.
- Klein, H. 1990. Adolescence, youth, and young adulthood: Rethinking current conceptualizations of life stage. Youth & Society. 21,4:446-471.
- Korpela, K. (1991). “Adolescents’ and Adults’ Favourite Places.” In T. Niit, M. Raudsepp, and K. Liik (Eds.), Environment and Social Development: Proceedings of the East-West Colloquium in Environmental Psychology (pp.76-83). Tallinn.
- Korpela, K.M., 1989. Place-identity as a Product of Environmental Self-regulation. Journal of Environmental Psychology, 9: 241-256.
- Ladd, F.C. 1978. City kids in the absence of . . . In R. Kaplan & S. Kaplan (Eds.), Humanscape: Environments for people. (pp. 77-81). North Scituate, MA: Duxbury Press.
- Larson, R. & Richards, M., 1989. Introduction: The Changing Life Space of Early Adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence,18, 6: 501-509.
- Lynch, K. (Ed.). 1977. Growing up in cities: Studies of the spatial environment of adolescence in Cracow, Melbourne, Mexico City, Salta, Toluca, and Warszawa. Cambridge: M.I.T. Press.
- Metzler, B. 1988. Cities ‘making criminals’ out of skateboarders. Roanoke Times & World News. October 24:Extra,1&6.
- Musselman, V., 1943. Teen Trouble: What Can Recreation Do About It? Recreation, 37 (April): 6-10, 48.
- Nightingale, E.O. and Wolverton, L., 1993. Adolescent Rolelessness in Modern Society. Teachers College Record, 84, 3: 472-486.
- Owens, P.E., (in press). Adolescence and the Cultural Landscape: Public policy, design decisions, and popular press reporting. Landscape and Urban Planning.
- Owens, P.E., 1994. Hang Outs, Look Outs, and Wipe Outs. Landscape Architecture Magazine. 84,10:64.
- Owens, P.E., 1994. Designing Places for Teens. Proceedings of the Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture Conference, October 1993. Eugene, Oregon. 20-29.
- Owens, P.E., 1994. Teen Places in Sunshine, Australia: Then and Now. Children’s Environments. 11,4:292-299.
- Owens, P.E. 1993. Valued outdoor places: A study of teen places in Sunshine, Australia. Proceedings of Environmental Design Research Association 24.
- Owens, P.E. 1988. Natural landscapes, gathering places, and prospect refuges: Characteristics of outdoor places valued by teens. Children’s Environments Quarterly. 5,2:17-24.
- Owens, P.E. 1988. Venues and values of teens. National Endowment for the Arts. Exhibit.
- Raffaelli, M. and Duckett, E., 1989. ‘We Were Just Talking…': Conversations in Early Adolescence. Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 18, 6: 567-581.