If you have an article or paper you’d like to see published on this site, contact Kelly Verel at (212) 620-5660.
Community & Economic Development and Markets
- A New Kind of Market EconomicsThree ambitious projects launch low-income entrepreneurs on the road to success.
- Fighting Global Warming at the Farmers Market: The Role of Local Food Systems in Reducing Greenhouse Gas EmissionsStephen Bentley and Ravenna Barker, FoodShare Field to Table, April 2005
- A Comeback for Small Farms: Many Professionals Are Giving Up Keyboards For a ?Dirt-in-the Fingernail? Life and Possible ProfitPatrick Jonsson, The Christian Science Monitor, February 9, 2006
- Hmong Farmers Are Helped By One of Their OwnTracy Sellers, California Country Magazine, California Farm Bureau Federation
- Local Public Markets – National Transformation Congressman Earl Blumenauer, October 31, 2005. Closing Plenary from the 6th International Public Market Conference
- The Sensuous ShopperConfessions of a man who cannot get enough fresh tomatoes.
- Ten Qualities of Successful Public Markets 100 well-tested tips on how you can create your own great market.
- Markets at Their BestPublic markets are an essential building block of great cities–in the same way as parks, streets, and buildings. This gallery of historic and contemporary photos shows why.
- For the Health of ItFarmers markets boost the prospects of low-income communities with fresh, wholesome food.
- Healthy Food, Healthy Communities: Improving Access and Opportunities Through Food RetailingFall 2005
- Public Markets and the City: A Historical PerspectiveHelen Tangires, October 30, 2005. From the 6th International Public Market Conference
Placemaking and Markets
- How Markets Can Turn a Place AroundThree ways to make sure there’s a “there” there.
- The Great Revival of Public MarketsAmerica’s future may be small vendors as much as big boxes.
- Granville Island: One of the World’s Great PlacesIn the heart of Vancouver, this lively mix of arts, parks, and markets leads off our new hall of fame for great neighborhoods and districts.
- “Heads up” Versus “Heads Down” Retail: The Missing Link between Good Public Spaces and Good Markets?Markets work to create great public spaces and vice versa. But what exactly is it about markets that make them successful public spaces? Will Fulford, site manager of London’s Camden Lock Market, researched that question and presents the results in this report.
- East New York Farms: Youth Participation in Community Development and Urban AgricultureYvonne Hung, Department of Environmental Psychology, City University of New York
- A Growing OpportunityUrban agriculture takes root in empty lots and abandoned spaces. Don Butler, The Ottawa Citizen, June 18, 2006
- The Effect of Community Gardens on Neighboring Property ValuesVicki Been and Ioan Voicu, NYU Center for Law and Economics, March 2006
Articles & Papers on Public Markets was last modified: March 6th, 2012 by