PPS presents its 7th International Public Markets Conference on April 24-26, 2009, in San Francisco.
The 7th International Public Market Conference will set a new direction for the vital role markets play in transforming local economies and communities. First class speakers from the Bay Area, the US, and around the world will be on hand to deliver lectures, workshops, and breakout sessions, share wisdom gained from their years dedicated to the movement, and encourage participants to creatively respond to today’s and tomorrow’s emerging challenges.
Topics will include:
• Markets as focal points of local food economies
• How markets can enhance access to fresh food in low income communities
• Markets and placemaking: Revitalizing communities and public spaces
• Bringing people together: Markets as cultural melting pots
• Building local food systems: Linking wholesale, retail, and local production
• Creating economically sustainable markets in low income communities
• Friday, April 24: Plenary sessions and workshops; reception at the Ferry Building
• Saturday, April 25: Tours and special evening event
• Sunday, April 26: Workshops and closing session
Registration opens soon! Click here for more information.